Otto Lightner’s collection of fine and decorative Victorian Era art and relics is housed in the former Alcazar Hotel, which was built by railroad tycoon and hotel developer Henry Flagler in 1888.
The hotel was at the peak of its popularity during the 1890’s. More than 25,000 guests visited the Alcazar during those early winter seasons and countless more used the recreational facilities of the casino. For the pleasure of the guests, there was the world’s largets indoor swimming pool, the grand ballroom, sulfur baths, a steam room, massage parlor, a gymnasium, a bowling alley, archery ranges, tennis courts and a bicycle academy.
The museum opened to the public in 1948 after the hotel was purchased by Otto Lightner to house his collections. From typewriters to Tiffany, Otto Lightner’s collections of fine and decorative art from the 19th century were impressive and extensive. The museum’s eclectic collection ranges from a mummy, shrunken heads, human hair art, cigar labels, buttons, salt and pepper shakers, to Tiffany glass, cut glass, porcelain, fine art paintings, furniture and sculptures all housed throughout the four floors of the original Alcazar Hotel.
Antique mechanical musical demonstrations are offered daily at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Group adult and children’s tours are available. Reservations must be made in advance.
Apr 14, 2019
Apr 11, 2019